Earlier this week I received a call from a good friend who is having a hard time. She asked me to pick up her handicapped son from school. She couldn't leave work, her husband hung up on her when she tried to get him to go get their son. It was not a problem at all for me to help, I picked him up, he was wonderful, my boys all really enjoy being with him, we made lots and lots of piggy noises, then his mom was here to get him. As she left she made a comment out of frustration. She felt like her husband was just a paycheck, and she could get that from him if they were married or not. It was so sad I couldn't stop thinking about it the rest of the afternoon.
We get Johnny one day a week now. He is working in Rosamond, CA and comes home Saturday night only to leave again at 4am Monday. When Johnny called that night I emotionally unloaded. I wanted him to know that he is much more than just a paycheck to me. Our oldest son Daniel was outside with me when my friend made her comment and in the car when I was talking to Johnny. Daniel asks questions typical 7 year olds don't ask and boy did he start asking questions. He wanted to know why some husbands are just a paycheck. He wanted to know why I told Johnny he was not a paycheck. We talked for a long time about the necessity of money and the importance of family. I decided to ask Daniel what he observed about the way Johnny treats me and here are a few treasures from my 7 year old!
1. Daddy prays with us every night.
2. Daddy never sits while we are working, we work together. Dinner, cleaning, baths, etc.
3. Daddy holds Mommy's hand.
4. Daddy kisses Mommy longer (meaning longer than he kisses our boys).
Here are a few of my own observations that make Johnny so amazing...
1. He tells me I am beautiful every day, usually multiple times a day. Even when he is away and can't see me. He also asks for pictures of me all the time so he can see me while he is gone. He shows those pictures to his friends at work and tells them I am beautiful. He makes me feel like he is proud of me and proud that I am his wife.
2. He kisses me every chance he gets. He kisses me in the kitchen, we hide in the laundry room, etc. He makes ordinary places extraordinary! We have been married almost 12 years!
3. When we ride in his truck he wants me sitting in the middle of the front bench so he can put his arm around me. He likes playing with my hair and having me close.
4. Johnny tells our boys all the time that I am beautiful or the dinner I made was amazing, or that he is so lucky to have such a wonderful wife. Some of the stuff is ridiculous but I know he believes what he is saying even if I think he is being way over the top.
5. Johnny never yells at me. Ever. He won't even argue with me when I am being a brat and try to pick a fight.
I guess my whole point is that our boys see how their dad treats their mom. We talk with them about why he has to be gone, but make sure they know he would much rather be home with us. My boys have no doubt that their dad loves their mom. We have a house full of future husbands and fathers. Johnny is teaching them by his example. I will be one proud Mamma if our boys turn out exactly like their dad! And just let me add that the young ladies who get to marry one of my boys will be lucky indeed!
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment