Now that school has started and we are back to a more normal routine I have felt a sense of relief wash over me. I have a ton of pictures from the end of summer I would love to post, but I loaned out my Kindle and along with it the cord I use to connect my phone to the computer...so no pictures for a bit.
As some already know my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. Her's was an invasive ductile carcinoma on the outside of her right side; almost under her arm pit. She had a radical bilateral mastectomy on the 5th due to many factors such as her age and the fact that the cancer was "triple negative" (meaning it was not treatable with hormone therapy). The past few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. My mother is very matter-of-fact about health issues. At times I would feel numb and other times I would become extremely emotional. It had never occurred to me before that my mom was vulnerable. If you have met my mother you know why. She is Superwoman. She is the Supervisor of the County Health Department, the Relief Society President, runs my Dad's business, etc. She does it all. Even through knee surgeries and hip replacements she has never seemed to even slow down. This time is different.
Today I was in the back yard washing my mother's hair before helping her get dressed for an appointment to remove her drains, pain bags, and bandages. Wesley really liked when I gave his Mumzie (Grandma) a mohawk with the soap. I was taken by surprise as I overwhelmed by feeling the Spirit. All of a sudden washing my mom's hair became a very significant spiritual experience for me. As mothers we care for our children, they are our responsibility. We do everything for them and most of the time it is a thankless job. Today my life came full circle as I was able to do something so seemingly insignificant for my mother. All of a sudden the service that I give my children every day meant more to me as I was able to serve my mother after her lifetime of service to me. All of a sudden I can see clearly how the sacrifices my parents have made for me and the sacrifices I make in turn for my children are all part of my Savior's perfect plan.
My mother is doing well recovering and I am so thankful for the time I had with her today. What a great example she is to me! She will start chemotherapy in a few weeks. My boys are beyond excited that their grandparents will have matching bald heads. I am excited to see my mom after her implants. After losing so much weight I secretly want some too! (Gasp!)
12 years ago


2 comments:
Thank you for sharing Melody! That warmed my heart reading it :) I'm so glad you called me this last week. You're such a wonderful example to me.
Oh my goodness, I had no idea! Your mom is amazing, and what a sweet experience you were able to have with her. I just saw your blog, thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment