Saturday, August 31, 2013

Master Makeover



Since Johnny has been gone for the last MONTH I developed a bad habit of putting off bedtime. I feel no desire to crawl into a cold empty bed. Despite being absolutely exhausted and knowing I need to sleep I still put if off. I decided that if I liked being in my bedroom I would be more prone to go to bed earlier.


  My bedroom makeover started with an old twin bedroom set my brother-in-law used when he was a kid.



My sister wanted the furniture out of her garage and I wanted free stuff. I started by stealing a chalk paint recipe from Pintrest (of course) and painted the dresser, desk, mirror, and headboard/footboard. The dresser is my favorite. I figured since the furniture was free and the paint was $10 per quart I would splurge on the knobs.

They were a total of $50. My little stinker Wesley took a hammer to the front of one of my desk drawers before I even put the knob on.


The headboard/footboard are being repurposed into a bench which is still being worked on in my garage. Boy its a good thing Johnny is on his way home this weekend, I need his hammer drill!

This bench at the end of the bed cost me $3 at a yard sale. The chevron fabric was on clearance for $2.50. 
A few staples and some batting remnants from other projects and I am in love with my bench! My boys like to lounge on it naked after their bath. Garrett thinks it is just the right size.

My king headboard is an old closet door that was on the way to the dump. My friend's husband let me pull it out of his trash trailer.

A little primer to cover the graffiti plus a clearance paint sample for the white and chrome spray paint for the chevron pattern. I did it for a total of $6! The deal is what makes it look so nice! I even used Johnny's circular saw to hack an old 2X6 in half to mount it to the bed frame. My dad stopped by when I was trying to level it and thought I was pretty entertaining.

 The bed skirt is a no sew idea I found on Pintrest. I used an old fitted sheet on the box springs, cut the material in strips and pulled it through slits I made in the sheet. The material was all in a bag given to me from an elderly woman at church. Can you tell I love stuff that is FREE. I think it turned out to be fun but I was concerned it was too feminine until I added the comforter. Now I love it.

The monogram lettering is on an old organization board. I picked it up for FREE at a church shop and swap.


Since I had scored a load of FREE burlap type fabric helping an elderly woman clean out her sewing supplies it only cost me .59 cents for the paint. I used carbon paper to transfer letters I printed off the computer, then I painted them while I watched Pitch Perfect (my goodness that movie was VULGAR but the singing was great).

Then I saw some awesome burlap covered storage boxes at Hobby Lobby for $25 each. I made my own out of empty pear boxes and my free fabric for (can you guess how much?) FREE! Now I have no piles in the corners of my room!


The only thing that stumped me was the color for the comforter. What would look good with teal and coral? What would make the room more masculine so Johnny wouldn't come home and think I had moved him out completely? My friend Ashley's amazing Christmas card inspired me when I saw it on the refrigerator. Navy and coral go so well together!


She has impeccable taste! I found this comforter at Marshall's for $29 along with the owl curtains for $20.
 I should have ironed the curtains before hanging them! I still plan on making throw pillows. I wish I could paint the walls a light silver color but this is a rental house. As of right now my total is about $140 including paint brushes and miscellaneous supplies. I raid my father's garage when I can't find what I need at home. As a last resort I run to Home Depot. I figure under $150 for a master bedroom makeover is a pretty sweet deal. I have had fun using Pintrest for ideas. Now the real question...have I started going to bed earlier? Um, no! I have all these projects to complete! Even when I do get to bed on time I usually turn the light on and off a few times. I like to just look at everything and think about how much money I didn't spend.

Eventually I will get to the other window coverings, some wall art, a chair for the desk, a rug, pictures in the frames, etc.



1 comment:

Heather said...

You are awesome! Well done. I did Max and Kate's room in navy and coral when they were together. Love that combo.