Wednesday, April 28, 2010

MAUI



I just returned home from a 5 day trip to Maui. I took Wesley with me and left Daniel and Jaxon with my dad and Johnny. Johnny could not come with me due to work, so I cashed in my frequent flyer miles. Quite a few people in my family were there and we all stayed in a condo together. My (almost) sister Lee was married at the Olowalu Plantation in Lahaina on Saturday the 24th.

Wesley was amazing on the 5 hour flight, both ways. Once we arrived we swam in the pool, Wesley's 1st time, then went with "the girls" to the Mai Thai Lounge for a Welcome Party site check. Wesley was left with "the boys" (which included my brother-in-law Kevin, his friend Steve and Kevin's brother Jimmy) after some reluctance on my part. We were gone longer than expected. Jeanine needs to realize the more she asks Kevin to watch my kids the less likely they are to have children of their own. I called after a while to check on them to find out that Wesley was hysterical. The boys had tried putting him to bed, walking with him, rocking him, and finally strapping him in the car seat. The guys then bust out some beer to take the edge off. I was not too happy with that but Wesley was calm by the time I got back. (Don't worry he was not given any of the beer!) This was not the first time my children have lead others to drink! Rough start to a vacation for the poor boy.

The next morning we were off to the beach. Wesley loved looking at the water but he did not like it to touch him at all, especially not the waves on his feet. I was a little nervous to snorkel because I don't like my peripheral vision cut off. I want to be able to see what is around me in the water. Kevin was patient with me long enough for us to swim out to the coral reef where we saw two gigantic sea turtles. While I was looking at one the other swam right up to me. It was amazing and a little nerve wracking at the same time. If they can sneak up on me out there then other things can too!

That afternoon was a welcome party on the upper deck of the Mai Thai Lounge. It was beautiful. The deck was literally right over the ocean. Whales were spouting off in the distance. My Granny was there. She is always a riot. She loves to spend time with her great grand babies but she tires quickly. This time she tried feeding Wesley some honeydew melon and celery. I had to dig it out when he started to choke! I always have to be on my guard because for some reason she likes to feed them things behind my back.
I think I may have tramatized a little boy who was sitting on the couch when I went to nurse the baby. I am sure he had no clue what I was doing at first but I think he caught on quick because he literally ran away from me! After the Welcome Party we went to a Hawaiian plate resturant. Yummy. That night we went to the Westin Resort to hang out with friends. It was nice that my mom was not interested in going and I was able to leave the baby to sleep.

Friday was spent at the Westin Resourt where most of the wedding guests were staying.

They had five pools with waterfalls and whirlpools inside tunnels connecting the pools. It was so cool and I felt a tiny tinge of regret that my two other boys were not there; they would have loved it!
Lee & Dan rented two cabanas for us to use. Relaxing by the pool in Hawaii looking out at the ocean really is an amazing experience. Wesley slept on one of the lounge chairs under the cabana. Can you tell?
After the pools we had a girl's night while the boys had a Bachelor party for the groom.

The day of the wedding I took Wesley swimming in the morning then we went to the Westin again. There he swam with my mom (who discovered he hates waterfalls) while I tricked the groom into giving me his room key. I am not sure why Dan believed that I wanted to put my baby down for a nap in the bride and groom's room on their wedding day, but he fell for it! Not to mention I didn't have Wesley with me when I got the key from him. He didn't even notice the roses sticking out of my bag. A friend and I cleaned their room then covered the bed in Dove chocolate. We threw rose petals all over the bed and floor. It was so beautiful. I was giddy just thinking about them walking in after the wedding.

The wedding was one of the most amazing experiences. First of all it was overlooking the ocean in Hawaii. Second the man who married them was funny and witty, the food and cake were brilliant, and to top it off a pod of whales (with babies) were breaching and spouting in the background. Lee even hired a babysitter to stay inside with the children. I was able to enjoy the wedding and go feed him or put him to bed and know he was being well taken care of.



The only sad part was when they played our song Johnny was not there to dance with me. Come on girls you know what I mean. I wanted to dance and kiss by the ocean in Hawaii.

Non Mormon weddings are very different than a traditional Mormon reception at the Cultural Hall. This was a wonderful experience for everyone and I could not be more happy for Lee and Dan.


The day we left I went snorkeling one more time and saw another sea turtle. I would love to return with my family so they could share the beauty of Hawaii with me. Aloha!

1 comment:

Diana Mae said...

finally!! it looks so beautiful and like you guys had an amazing time! lee looks gorgeous!! you have no idea how jealous I am! i miss you guys so much! that week you were all in hawaii was so hard for me! but, thanks for posting the pictures!! wesley is super adorable! the video cracks me up!! i love his big ears!