Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Grand Canyon Railway, Williams AZ

From Bagdad we went to Williams AZ to ride the Grand Canyon Railway. Since we went in the off season we were able to get 50% off tickets for staying in the GCR RV Park. It was not cold during the day when the sun was out even though there was snow on the ground. At night it did get down to about 14 degrees. Freezing! When we first arrived Wesley started saying "snow, snow" and eating chunks of it with his bare hands. I am sure you can imagine it was not long before the excitement wore off and the frozen fingers set in. After we set-up we headed to the hotel to take advantage of the indoor heated pool & jacuzzi! It was so strange sitting in a steaming pool looking at snow out the window.
Before we got on the train we went to an Old West Gunfight show. It was fun but the boys enjoyed sitting on the horses more than watching the show.

Once we got on the train the boys were so excited they could hardly sit still. Of course this wore off soon and rapidly turned into "are we there yet." About 15 minutes after starting our 2 hour journey Daniel told me he didn't feel well. I asked if he was going to throw-up. He adamantly told me he was not. Of course then he hurled all over me! From my neck to my shoes! SICK! I had brought changes of clothes for the boys, but not for me. All I had was a sweater and jacket. Luckily we were at the back of the train. I stationed Daniel over a trash bucket and changed my shirt to just a sweater then attempted to sponge myself off with brown paper napkins. Other than that all I could do was let myself dry out. Poor Johnny is a good sport and took Daniel to the train bathroom to deal with the diarrhea that followed the vomiting. After a small war to get him in a pull-up everyone was seated again. Johnny kept making comments like "does Wesley stink to you?" or "He has to have a dirty diaper" until I finally said "I was just vomited on! I am the one that smells!" At first I was upset about it then I started laughing and realized it is going to be a great story to tell his future girlfriends.
Once we arrived we headed to the look out point for our family picnic. It was a little cold and windy but the Canyon of course is amazing.
I had been to the North rim before but never the South side. We spent our time going to all of the look out points before heading back to the train. I am really glad we took the time to go.
Wesley of course was in a few layers of clothes ending with Daniel's extra jacket. We called him E.T. all day and he got a lot of attention from other tourists.
I had been in Arizona for 10 years before making it to the Canyon. Talking to others it is amazing how many people live so close to one of the 7 wonders of the world and have never gone to see it in person.

Now back to reality. Boo.

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a fun trip you guys have had while Johnny is in transition with work. I sadly have never been to the Grand Canyon either, AZ born and raised. Sad.

Sorry you got barfed on! Ah, the joys of motherhood, just not on a train without a shower or fresh clothes!