We are moving again. We are hooking up our home sweet home on wheels and moving out closer to Pasadena, CA off the 605 freeway. Johnny is being switched to another show-up yard, but is still contracted to the same company. I knew it was coming because he will become "HOT" near the end of February or beginning of March (Stop, I know what you are thinking, "he has been hot for a long time." Yes but that is not what I am talking about silly people). Becoming hot means he will join the big boys working with high voltage lines (600 volts and up I think). It also means he is a 4th step (out of 7 steps total) and he gets a 5% raise. Yeah on all accounts (except the higher voltage which of course is much more dangerous). Back to my point, he has been on a street light crew but will now be on a line crew to get the experience he needs. The new yard is bigger with more crews and longer hours. Thanks to the rain I have not seen him much this week. He worked 10-14 hours every day as well as Saturday and Sunday. Actually he is still working Sunday...he started at 6am and is still on stand by which means he will get home some time in the AM hours. He will have a mandatory 8 hour rest period some time tomorrow then back to work. Poor guy assures me he is now dry and warm. Apparently his rain gear is only meant to keep most of the water out, but does not keep him dry.
I have mixed feelings about the move of course. The place we are staying is pretty cheap for space rent. The closer to LA the more expensive. Plus, I don't want to have to buy another car until we are ready to get Johnny his diesel truck. Until then he is on his electric bike and we need to be close enough that he can get to work in a reasonable amount of time (in the rain I drive him or he takes the car). However, I do love the preschool the boys have been attending and our current ward. All of that goes away every time we move. Starting over is always hard and my pathetic feelings of "I am a loser with no friends to hang out with" begin over again. But, this is what I signed up for and it is a means to an end. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I secretly dream of moving back to Arizona to find my dream house with a basement, a power flush toilet, instant never ending hot water so I can shower and shave my legs at the same time, doors instead of curtains on the bedrooms, and a big yard where my boys can go outside to play and run. Wow that felt good to get out of my head! Until then, bring it on. Maybe we will be in this area long enough for me to find a good doctor and hospital for our next addition.
1 comment:
Have a good move! At least you don't have to pack, right? All kidding aside I can understand the upheaval and starting over each time and it doesn't really get easier. I wish you a nice transition and good friends.
Post a Comment