Yesterday was Jaxon's preschool party and today was Daniel's. Santa is everywhere. Daniel asked me if it was the same "real Santa" as was at the ward party. Plus they got a call from Santa (aka my Dad) yesterday. The call actually went much better than any of their Santa sightings.
The preschool parties are fun, but actually very ridiculous. Of course I love hearing my kids sing Christmas songs to me, but making ham and green beans by 9am for 3-5 year olds and their parents who just ate breakfast makes no sense. All the kids want is the junk food. I was able to get Jaxon to dress up for his party, but Daniel refused to wear "church clothes." 
In Daniel's class I guess the parent's were supposed to bring a wrapped present for Santa to give the child. Somehow I missed the memo and the teacher told me "well we only sent the notice home like 4 times and posted it on the door." Well excuse me, all of his gifts are wrapped and under the tree at my parent's house. AND if Jaxon's Santa from the party yesterday didn't give presents to the kids then why is this Santa doing it today...it is the same preschool and the same Santa impersonator.
We came up with a present just time time thank goodness. I don't want Daniel to think Santa forgot about him. I am trying to get my kids to stop asking for everything in the world, but all of these Santas are perpetuating my problem.
I was never really bothered by all of the materialism before, but now it bugs me. I sound like a Grinch, I know. Bah humbug. Sorry.
I love Christmas and talking about the birth of Christ. I love teaching my children about the Nativity and the symbolism of Christmas. How do I help their little minds make sense of it all? Santa is fun, but not real. Jesus Christ is the reason for our celebrations. I want my kids to love Him and celebrate His life and mission as much as I do. Merry Christmas.


2 comments:
I just tell my boys that the Santas all over the place are "Santa's Helpers" and report back to Santa at the North Pole, b/c Santa is very busy getting stuff ready. lol
I sooo feel ya...reading your post reminded me of when my oldest was 4 and my eyes were opened to too many Santas! It's exhausting and can take suck the Christmas Spirit right out of you. I've found more enjoyment in Christmas by simplifying, simplifying, simplifying...I know that you will figure out what works for you, too! Merry Christmas!!!
Post a Comment