Thursday, March 17, 2011

Motherly woes...

Wesley has been sick for two days now, poor guy. Baby puke is not only disgusting, but oh so sad. They just have no concept of what is going on with their little bodies. Even worse for a family with an EE child is the worry that every time a child pukes (even if it is not the one diagnosed with EE) they might be reacting to something. At one of the conferences I attended it was said that 60% of EE patients are boys, only 30% girls. How does that statistic work out for my family? I will soon have 4 boys so it stands to reason half (or more) of them will end up having EE. Once the retching or diarrhea begins I immediately run a mental list of what was eaten recently. I tell myself I am silly; kids just get sick sometimes. Then my mom called and when she heard Wesley was sick she asked if he might be reacting to something he ate.

This just confirms I am not the only one that fears more of my boys will end up having EE, since it is not always triggered in infancy. Some people don't have any symptoms until they are teens or adults. When Jaxon was diagnosed at 7 months another mother at church had a 16 year old son who was diagnosed. I counted myself lucky at the time since I could control what my baby ate, which is not so easy with a 16 year old I am sure!

Isn't the "what if" game wonderful? Now that I have vented a little I feel much better and I am sure after a long nap Wesley will wake feeling at least a little better too.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Funny you should say that as I am exactly the opposite. I'm still in denial that there is anything wrong with Ava. When she does well for a while, I convince myself that the whole thing is in my head--or maybe I wish it is.
And their statistics are bunk. Two healthy boys and one girl with the whole spectrum of allergic issues. You'll have to let us know how your odds end up- I'm not going to try for any more kids and find out!