I call myself overprotective all the time, but really I think I am just a normal mom. My oldest is only 5 so why would I let him outside unsupervised? If we lived in a quiet neighborhood in Mesa like we used to near people and children that I knew well it would be different. Instead, we go from place to place and meet new people all the time. Kids can easily be snatched, disappear, or be run over. That is why I totally don't get Daniel's new little best buddy or his parents. Daniel is starving for friendship away from
Jaxon who he considers a menace most of the time. This new friend is 6, travels with his family (his Dad said God appeared to him, told him to give away his business, and that all government leaders worship Satan), and all the kids are supposedly home schooled. He is a nice kid, but I don't need anymore kids to watch than I already have and in the almost week we have been here I have never even seen his mother. She has never even come to check on him once or to meet me! He spent an entire afternoon with us at the lake without telling her where he was going. We had to make him go home to get shoes. He has not changed clothes or bathed I believe in at least 5 days.
Am I crazy overprotective? I just want to know where my kids are, what they are doing, and who they are with. Daniel is not allowed to play at this kids trailer; they have to be in front of ours where I can see and hear them or I go with them. They (this kid and his 3 siblings) ask for food all the time, taught Daniel to say "what the hell" which he repeated to me tonight in the bathtub, and tell him to say "the "s" word" which luckily he still thinks means stupid. I tried to talk to Daniel about the importance to family, family always comes first, and friends are only friends if they help you be better, but he insists they are best friends forever and nothing will ever change that (I am not too worried about that part though since they are leaving in 2 days, haha).
Maybe I am crazy but I would rather be a little overprotective and even overbearing and not have something terrible happen than be too lenient and have my child disappear. This morning at church I started thinking maybe I was being too judgemental toward this woman. I don't really know their whole situation, but at the same time I am tempted to call child protective services.
2 comments:
Man, that's a tough one. I'm not sure if I would call child protective services or not- would those kids really be better off in a foster home? Many foster parents care even less for these kids than their real parents. Hard to say, but you're not overprotective- I still won't let my 7 year old go play at anyone else's house.
I would say call CPS but honestly, they won't do anything. That family will be gone and untraceable in 2 days, from the sounds of it.
I'm the same way though, very protective. And Josh is even worse! I think working at the jail has made him more paranoid than I am.
Post a Comment