While my boys were at the Father & Son's camp out last weekend I ran the Jurassic Classic 5K Mud Run. There is something about jumping in a big mud bog that brings me a sense of release and joy. I signed up by myself and was a little sad about doing it alone. I decided to do it anyway and was super excited to bump into a friend of mine from church at the starting gate. We ran together and she kept me going when I wanted to stop. I am not a great runner and the mud run I completed last year ended up being mostly a mud walk. This year I improved my time by over 15 minutes. If you think about it that is quite a lot when you are only going just over 3 miles.
The obstacles we faced this year were a little different than last year. The mud pits were smaller but more frequent. Some seemed like they had been stirred around to make them sludge rather than just dirty water. I think there were 7-8 mud pits as well as a rope wall, a wooden wall, tires, a crawling pit area, and hay bales. It really felt like they were getting us nice and muddy only to cover us in hay. We ended up looking like we were tared and feathered. The only thing the course lacked were water stations! There were only two when there should have been at least 4-5.
In the end my legs were pretty scraped, my skin milky smooth from all the mud, and my sense of accomplishment was through the roof. It was such a great start to my morning. I came home, took a shower, and cuddled up in my bathrobe on the bed for a nice nap. The second my head hit the pillow the phone rang and Johnny announced my truck full of stinky camping boys along with all their laundry, sleeping bags, and smelly gear were just around the corner. No rest for the weary!
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment