Sunday, May 26, 2013

Summer Mohawks

Last summer Daniel was just finishing kindergarten and saw a little boy with a Mohawk. He wanted a Mohawk and I promised that he could have one over the summer. This year the Mohawk requests started about a month ago. Of course since Jaxon is Daniel's little shadow he had to have one too! People think they are twins now more than ever! Jaxon will be bigger than Daniel soon.

In an effort not to be the kind of mom that says NO to everything I decided that Mohawks are harmless. Its only hair. The boys are excited about having "cool" hair. Despite the funny looks when we walked into church this morning, I want to be the kind of mom that says YES to things my boys are excited about. If I let them express themselves with crazy hair at this age maybe they will not feel the need to when they are older. I want to say YES as much as possible while I have the maximum amount of control over the situation. Who knows, maybe it will backfire on me, but maybe it won't.

I also now have a powerful weapon against misbehavior. The clippers are close at hand and they know I will shave their head in a split second if they are not on their best behavior. The real challenge this summer will be to remember to put sunblock on their bald heads!

1 comment:

AZ Larsens said...

You and I feel the same way about this. I do mohawks on my boys every summer and they love it. I get a lot of strange looks (and comments) but you know what? It's just hair. And they actually get sick of it and want to shave it off in a few weeks. :) Here's to summer fun!