Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jaxon's Endoscopy


Jaxon had his 3rd endoscopy on Thursday 6/18 to check his eosinophil count. The eosinophil count (white blood cells in his esophagus) will tell us if he is reacting internally to any new foods I have introduced since his last scope. We have added quite a few: strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, soy, beef, sunflower seeds (Sunbutter), gluten free spelt, and honey. He also drinks 100% red grape juice and Crystal Light (hurray for Cherry Limeaid that is my new favorite flavor). The gluten free oats were still causing rashes on his face and bum so I chose to discontinued them for now. We will probably try them a 4th time in a few months. Since I am a chicken we didn't test corn. I have to work myself up to the "big" ones that will most likely make him sick for a few days. It is hard to plan life around the possibility that he will be sick for a week if I try a new more allergenic food.
Jaxon was AMAZING. We were pushed back due to a 16 year old who had a more urgent need for the scope than we did. The only problem with that is Jaxon can't eat or drink anything before the scope. Denying a 2 year old food for three hours after he wakes up in the morning is heartbreaking. At home and in the waiting room Jaxon let me and everyone around us know that he was hungry! Once were were in our prep room playing with toys and cords he was perfect. He even fell asleep in my arms just before we went back to the procedure room so the anaesthesiologist just placed the mask on his precious little face and he went limp in my arms. This is the 2nd time in a row he fell asleep on his own just in time for the procedure to begin. Wonderful!

The scope pictures looked perfect. The slides will be read this week and the eosinophils counted, if any. I would post the pictures but I didn't think you would want to see the inside of his esophagus, tummy, and small intestines.

1 comment:

Darin and Jena Bailey said...

Those are really cute pictures of him