Friday morning I had a doctor’s appointment for another stress test and ultrasound to check the fluid around little Wesley. Wesley was due Wednesday the 26th but I was only dilated to a 1 and was not having contractions regularly. His head was still very high, he had not dropped and I was not effaced. The problem was that he was not moving much. I kept telling Johnny he was only pressing with his feet up in my ribs and lungs but not kicking or rolling. My other two boys were still very active by the time they were due so I mentioned this to the doctor. The stress test I had on Tuesday the 25th at my last appointment was not encouraging so on Friday morning when Wesley was still not moving or reacting to the little “zapper” thing the doctor kept putting on my belly to try and stimulate him I was sent in to be induced. I was dilated to a 3 and I had lost almost 3 pounds, but there was no other change. Wesley’s heart rate was normal in the office and I was a little reluctant to be induced, so instead of going directly to the hospital like I was instructed my sister and I took the boys on a run to Whole Foods before going to the hospital. Jaxon needed a few things to get him through the next week and I was still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I was going to have Wesley that day. I called my parents and a few other people then called Johnny. I didn’t call him first because I didn’t want him to rush to the hospital when I was not even there yet. I called him from the grocery store but he didn’t answer so I called his boss. His boss assured me that he would make sure Johnny got the message.
I went to the hospital with my boys and sister Diana to check-in. They were there with me for a little while and left with the assurance that next time I saw them I would have their new brother with me. They were excited to finally meet Wesley and to go swimming with Diana that afternoon. I hung out at the hospital for a while being hooked up to tubes and signing paperwork. I remember getting there about 11am, Johnny went home to shave and shower at my request before coming to the hospital and arrived after noon. It was all very laid back and low stress. We watched TV, played cards, watched my contractions on the monitor, etc. I tested positive for Group B strep again so I had two bags of penicillin in my IV. I was kind of giddy laughing the whole time. Johnny watched them give me an epidural at 4:30pm before going to get Thai food. The only concern the nurse had at that time was that Wesley’s heartbeat was dropping from the 140’s to low 90’s with each contraction. We found out later it was due to the cord around his neck. We were told if it didn’t get under control I would need a C-section. The nurse turned off the pitocin to try and let the baby rest for a while. The doctor broke my water and I was dilated to 5cm. Before the epidural I was having contractions, but nothing significant. Really I was in no pain, I just decided to have the epidural because the anesthesiologist was available at that time. The nurse made the mistake of telling Johnny where the food was kept and he raided the desserts. I think he was eating carrot cake but I was trying not to pay attention. I was told not to eat or drink anything.
At 7pm the nurses were changing shifts and the new nurse came in to introduce herself. She thought I should roll over to see if that would help me move along. I was only 7cm when she checked me but once I rolled over I immediately told her I needed to push. She kind of laughed at me but it literally felt like the baby was going to fall out. She didn’t even need to really check me because the baby’s head was almost out. I went from a 7am to 10cm in a few seconds. Everything at that point changed from a lazy afternoon hanging out to people telling my to wait and not push. The doctor was called out of a c-section, the bed was taken apart and I distinctly remember Johnny asking if he had time to go to the bathroom. I also remember hearing Johnny call my mom and sister on speakerphone. They were just coming into the hospital and told me to wait to have the baby until they got there. Yeah right! One little push and his head was out. Another push and his body was out. Diana said she heard his first cry as they were running up to the hospital room door but the nurse would not let them in the room. It was even easier than Jaxon’s birth and that was as short and sweet as they get. The first thing I remember thinking when Wesley was born was that his face was the shape of Daniel’s and his cry was so cute.
Wesley is a perfect little baby. He sleeps 6 or more hours at night then nurses and sleeps again. He nurses well and has the cutest squawk. I love his little nose and long toes. His feet are SO LONG! He was my first baby that was not jaundice. I love holding him and I love the faces he makes when he is trying to open his eyes. Our family would not be complete without him!


2 comments:
You and your crazy fast births! Woman you are blessed! I am glad it turned out well and little Wesley didn't have any problems with the cord and you were spared a c-section. Blessings all around. Too bad you aren't here for us to love on him, sending lots of virtual hugs and snuggles your way!
You look really good after just having a baby. How nice that the birth went fast and the danger of the cord was gone. We miss you, but keep up the blogging so we can read about you and your family.
Post a Comment