Monday, November 1, 2010

Day of the Dead

For family night we decided to take the kids to the public library for free Day of the Dead crafts, food, and displays. Looking back I realize that this is just how my life is at this stage, but while we were there it was a minor catastrophe.

Jaxon & Daniel decide to paint masks, promptly get non washable paint all over their shirts and my favorite skirt.

Run to the bathroom to wash out paint (out in the hallway, have to stop and get the key) leaving Johnny to man the 3 boys. Luckily Wesley was confined in the stroller but he was making sure everyone knew he was not happy with the situation.

Return from the bathroom, hang the wet shirt on the back of my chair. Realize Jaxon has gum on his chin which he promptly tells me came from under the table. Yuck! Johnny gives a weak smile and states he took the gum away.

Continue painting with the boys. Break-up a fight over who gets the bigger brush. Stand up to get paper towels only to realize the wet shirt slipped down the back of my chair and I now look like I peed my pants!

Painting is over. Wesley is protesting loudly. Get Daniel some traditional sweetbread only to turn around and find Jaxon eating sequins and who knows what else off the floor. Think to myself "at least it is not something that will make him sick," then do a double take and question if sequins really will make him sick. Daniel promptly dumps his cup all over the craft table and into the newly opened economy size bag of sequins. Grab more paper towels.

Release the beast (Wesley) who is protesting more loudly than ever and assign Johnny chasing duties. Clean up and apologize (for the 500th time). Let the boys put on their still wet masks and think to myself "at least it is bath time. " Snap a cute picture for the blog.

Herd my small flock out the door only to hear rather loud sighs of relief from the other participants and the craft director.

Get out of the car at home only to turn around and see Jaxon dump dirt over Daniel's head and down his back. Daniel is not protesting so I decide to pick my battles.

Hurray for bath time & bedtime! Sometimes I think, is all of it worth this? It is.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Times like this it is nice to write it down and have the perspective of how crazy motherhood is. And then you can breathe, smile and have a sigh of relief yourself. :)

Kristin said...

I'm trying to laugh with you and not at you--but I gotta say you have some really crazy days! I hand it to you for not freaking out. ( or it you did, it was perfectly justified) The rest of us think it's worth it for the story alone!

AZ Larsens said...

All I can do is laugh because I'm in the same situation! Having 3 boys is NOT for the weak right? haha...

Ashley said...

Wow! Sounds like quite the day!!! I'm sure you handled it so amazingly well too!! Can't wait to see you all in 3 weeks! Yay! Will be sad next weekend thinking about all we are missing out on at Legoland! Hope you guys have a blast!