Sunday, April 10, 2011

New Words

Daniel ran into get me from Relief Society after church this afternoon and quite loudly stated "Hey Mom, a-hole means dog." My jaw dropped and I started trying to quickly make my way to him and out of the room before he could say it again. Of course as soon as we were out in the hallway he started chanting "a-hole, a-hole" over and over again, Jaxon mimicking him every step of the way. After a rapid escape to the car we had a little discussion about what that really means and that whoever told him it was a dog lied to him. He was embarrassed more than anything and afraid of being in trouble. When tears welled up in his eyes all I could do was wipe them away and let him know that not everyone tells the truth, sometimes people tell you lies to try to get you in trouble.

To my amazement the little girl who taught him this new word was in the 4 year old class. Now if I was as naive now as I was before having children I would assume she heard it from her parents, but I know kids pick things up from many influential sources. I just hope all the women in Relief Society today don't think that Daniel learned to say that word from either of us.

1 comment:

AZ Larsens said...

I'm sorry but, all I can do is laugh! I've had similar experiences with J.J. and Trey. I'm afraid now that they're reading we're going to run into more embarrassing words as they see graffiti, etc.