Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Going to Denver

Well the time has come to bite the bullet and head to The Children's Hospital in Denver. We need to have some guidance with Jaxon and his EE. After a disappointing visit at Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego last year I was told basically that he is cured. He had a clean scope, yes, but at the time he was not eating any wheat, eggs, dairy , corn, nuts, rice, etc. I hardly call that cured! We have been playing it safe and not trying new things for a while just because he felt good and I wanted him to have a chance to feel good for a while. After a while we added corn and by accident, nuts. I caught him one day with a peanut butter container and pear slices. He never had any reactions. Now he is stealing food. I caught him behind my bed with a box of Vanilla Wafers. The next day it was gold fish crackers. The day after than he made a nose dive for some cheese cubes Wesley had thrown on the floor. The alternatives I make him are no longer holding his interest and I can't force all of us to be on such a limited diet along with him. So Denver seems like the logical answer where a team will be able to see him and give me some guidance.

Any other EE parents that have been to Denver to see Dr. Furuta and his team that can give me some tips and guidance would be greatly appreciated. We are in the process of having all records sent over and hope to be going before the end of the year. We need tips on where to stay, what to expect, what else to do there as a family, etc.


2 comments:

Kristin said...

I would agree- you are not "cured" if you have a clean scope but are not eating anything--what's the point! Is Denver affiliated with Cincinnati? Ava's doctor is and supposedly they are the best in the country. Ava's doctor believes that most children can get down to one or just a few trigger foods in time, so she won't stop until we find exactly everything she reacts to. Good luck in Denver--I hope they are great!

M said...

Hey Melody,
I live near Denver! So tell me when your coming in town and we can meet up. How long will you be here for? I will send you message with my phone number so we can talk about best places to stay and what to see.
Marianne