Monday, August 29, 2011

Church

Church for us is a tough time. We want to be there to be spiritually enlightened and feel closer to God, but at the same time it is difficult to coral our kids. We have strict church rules and have even been down to the building during the week to practice. Also, since we are always going to new wards when we move everybody seems to watch the new family and comment to us at the end of the meeting.

Some of our most basic rules are:
1. Divide and conquer. No kids can sit next to each other. Daniel is by the isle, Jaxon gets closest to the wall and Wesley is in the middle for containment purposes. Johnny and I pass Garrett back and forth.
2. No toys or snacks before the sacrament is passed. Sacrament is the main reason we are even there!
3. Don't let them escape!
4. No bathroom runs.

The last few weeks Wesley has been on a roll. He is loud which is usually cute. Recently he has been crowing like a rooster, singing wheels on the bus, growling at anyone and everyone, etc. When we were in Hemet with my parents last week my dad was entertaining him by nibbling on his ear to tickle him (sometimes I give my dad the same look I give my kids to get them to stop clowning around). When my dad stopped nibbling Wesley's ear he loudly demanded the tickling begin again by yelling "bite me". Our whole row was trying to stifle giggles. This week he kept saying "Hi guys!" I asked him what he was doing and he told me "I'm saying HI to the guys!"

All of that is cute but this week knocked us over the edge. Somehow he escaped the quick little stinker that he is and decided to try and pull the curtains covering the huge windows down. Luckily the curtains held as he tried to swing like Tarzan before he was caught and contained once more. Can anyone say embarrassing? Yeah, church is fun. Did I leave feeling spiritually uplifted? Ummm, no!

No comments: