Being a mom of 4 young sons I have sworn off all pets. I just don't want to deal with anything else! I have enough to take care of every day with out cleaning fish tanks, picking up poop from animals (I get that enough just with the kids) or having to keep my kids from eating pet food! That being said when Daniel brought me a note from his teacher asking if he could bring home silk worms I thought "how much work could worms be"! Well let me tell you, it is more work than you would think. Daniel brought home a bag full of silk worms. Poor kid actually asked to "take them camping" with him! Silk worms only eat mulberry leaves. We don't have mulberry trees. The only one I located within a convenient distance is on my parent's street, and I don't know the people who live in that house. I have tried knocking on the door but they don't answer. Guess what? Silk worms need fresh leaves EVERY DARN DAY! They don't drink water because they get moisture from the fresh leaves. I have been making special trips over to steal leaves (25 per day) off this stranger's tree for the last 3+ weeks. Let me tell you now that their neighbor thinks I an absolutely crazy! We have "stopped by" at all different times of day and without fail the dogs go NUTS when we pull up. This innocent little project has turned in to a daily drive by! We screech up, then both Daniel and I sprint like bandits up to the tree to grab leaves before someone runs out with a shot gun! What is Daniel going to remember about his first "pet?" He is going to remember his mom harshly whispering "grab and go, grab and go" or "run Danny RUN!" as we sneak like thieves to steal mulberry leaves on a daily basis!
One by one all 12 have made their cocoons. They STINK, and I do mean stink! Just yesterday the first one came out. I was assured they don't fly or eat, only walk and mate. Daniel explained to me what his teacher told him "they put their butts together to lay eggs then die." What a life! Today we cut open a cocoon from the first moth to feel the silk and check out the skin it shed. It was neat to see the look on his face, but I think we are going to be done with pets for a long time. Oh yes, and I was just informed I need to keep the eggs in my refrigerator until next season so we can watch them hatch and go through this process all over again. Lovely!
12 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment