Thursday, September 25, 2008

Potty Training

Today was the day! Last week I read the book Toilet Training in Less Than a Day by Nathan H. Azrin, which came highly recommended by a friend. Johnny was off work so he took Jaxon for some one-on-one father/son time (a.k.a run my errands for me please sweetheart) so I could spend the time with Daniel and (drum roll please)...the potty chair! Last night I typed out a cheat sheet, took out my tools (dinosaur underwear, colored marshmallows, skittles, fruit punch, orange soda, and Smarties), and mentally prepared for what I thought could go one of two ways. 1. Daniel was going to be an angle and go right to the potty, never have more than one accident, and totally and completely cooperate with me. At this point I would have fallen to the floor and praised my maker not believing my great fortune. OR 2. He was going to scream so long and loud that I would feel like he could just spend the rest of his life in diapers; see if I care! For some reason I pictured him being about 7 wearing diapers in COSTCO with elderly women giving me the evil eye...

I followed the plan as much as I could (I should have read the book at least 5 times so I wouldn't forget anything) and it pretty much worked. Of course after 4 accidents I was a little discouraged and Daniel was screaming "NO" over and over again in my face, but he got the basics down. He even kept his bed dry during his nap (according to the book pull-ups should not be used after 2 1/2 years old). Overall I was proud of him and only had to resist a strong desire to totally and completely give up one time. When needed I rewarded myself with Skittles for being a good girl. Thanks to the treats everyone is alive. I think Daniel found a new sense of pride in himself. He also now knows that each of our neighbors and all of his friends potty on the toilet to keep their pants dry. I sincerely apologize ahead of time for any comments my 2 year old makes about your potty habits.

On a side note my husband is the most amazing man ever. When he got home from running my errands and cleaning up the orange soda Daniel spilled on the carpet; he swept and mopped the floor for me (due to potty accidents) while the boys took naps. Whenever I stop to think I realize how blessed I am to have him as my eternal companion.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Woohoo! You go Melody and Daniel, brave woman that you are! I will be coming to you for tips, sounds like it has been going pretty well.

Crystal said...

Yay! At least that method worked for you. I tried it (albeit not to the T, but fairly close) and Ryland did it for about two days then decided she was done with being potty trained. Every now and then she will want to (I even have the chair sitting out for her) and she will do it for like a day or two then want to be put in diapers again. I decided to give up. She is to stubborn for her own good. You can come here and train her if you would like. How doe she do outside of the house? I think I will try again after Christmas when she is 2 1/2.

therealmccoy said...

Melody, You're super Mom! All the treats and positive reinforcement sound so nice. I wish someone would do that for me when I do house-work.