Tradition. One word makes me think of Rev Tevia on Fiddler on the Roof. Why do we carry on traditions? I think we do it first because it is what we know. We grew up doing it that way and so we are comfortable continuing on in the same way. Second, because it is something that we love and that brings out special feelings. Thanksgiving for instance is just not the same if we eat off paper plates. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, to me, are to be served on china. I used to look forward to having my own china so I could host holiday dinners at my home. My grandmother is an antique dealer. Her china was breathtaking. The silver goblets, the napkin rings, the silverware...it made the holiday special in my heart. We always dress up in our Sunday best for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. I loved going shopping with my mom for Christmas dresses to be worn the first time at Christmas dinner. I have such fond holiday memories. I want to pass on traditions to my children.
Every Christmas I can remember I have used the stocking my beloved Granny made for me. Granny made a stocking for every grandchild. My stocking is something I have treasured my entire life. I loved that it was made by her just for me. I never thought about the time it had taken her until I was older, but I appreciate it now. This is a tradition I want to pass on to my children. 
When Daniel was a year I decided I needed to make his Christmas stocking. It was quite an ordeal taking me more than a month to finish. I worked on it every night in front of the TV (which is probably why it took me so long). I was so happy with how it turned out. Of course I made plenty of mistakes, but hey it was my first time and I am far from a perfectionist. I am more of a speed crafter, trying to get it done before I get so bored I give up.
I just finished Jaxon's stocking. My sister threw me a cowboy baby shower before Jaxon was born so I kept in line with that theme. Santa on a horse! I think I did better this time around because I knew what I was doing. I want my boys to look at their stockings and know that was thinking of them. I know that at one and two years old they are not going to be gushing with gratitude, but some day they will look at them a little closer and think (the same as I did with my own stocking) "Gosh, she must really love me!"


4 comments:
Those stockings look amazing! Did you stitch on Jaxon's name by hand?? I think you did a great job and I am sure the boys will fondly upon them as they get older.
What a cute cute tradition Melody! They are absolutely wonderful. I think you've inspired me, but I htink I'll wait for next Christmas bc I'm already booked for Christmas crafts and things. I'll have to email you then for tips! Way to go!
I wish I could sew! You are so amazing and talented!
MEL!! Jaxons stocking is super cute!!! Good job! My future kids are going to be super jealous of all the awesome things you have made for your kids. Gosh!! I can never live up!! lol
Post a Comment