Monday, November 16, 2009

What to do?

Daniel stated this morning "I AM NOT GOING TO PRESCHOOL!" It was less of a statement and more of a screaming hysterical fit in my face, in the trailer, out the door, sitting on the curb on the side of the road, etc. I was so mad I still have a headache over the ordeal. I am sure he does too.

I of course am trying to figure out why he would rather stay home than go to preschool. As of Friday he loved it. He has always loved it. They made Indian hats. He had a great day. His teacher always tells me how well he is doing. I have observed the class. Daniel has not said anything about a traumatic experience there. I ask him why he doesn't want to go and he tells me "because" or "I am done playing there" or "you just need to find me a new preschool." So really it is not that he doesn't want preschool, it is just that he doesn't want THIS preschool.

Do I force it? Do I force him to go kicking and screaming the whole half hour drive there? The preschool is in Lancaster so it is not convenient, but I realized I need the time with him away just as much as he needs the time away and the opportunity to learn. That is my only opportunity to shop with only two kids. That is my time to focus on Jaxon and talk with him without Daniel trying to tell Jaxon what to say and what he can or can not play with.

Anyone? Anyone? Help me out here please.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

First I would go to his teacher and make sure there is not an issue. (Did something happen with another child? Did he get reprimanded for something? Has anything upset him lately?) Andrew had a kid that was bullying him for a while--once I approached the teacher, we got it fixed and he was happy to go again. If the teacher says nothing than it's probably just a phase. They want to go, but at the same time they don't want to miss out on what's going on at home.

Ethan has been doing the same thing. I tried the "fine don't go-- it will save me a lot of money every month" tactic, but that didn't work. Finally I said fine- stay home, but if you stay home you have to run errands with me, or clean the house, or whatever I think he wants no part of. That has worked great. Everyday when I pick him up, he's beaming and can't wait to tell me about his day, so I don't feel bad for somewhat forcing the issue.

Good luck!

AZ Larsens said...

I had that issue with J.J. too, I made him go anyways. NOt only for all the reasons you just said, but because I feel like I have to teach them that sometimes, we have to go do things we don't want to do. And once I made him go, he always had fun once he got there! After a couple times of trying that he didn't do it anymore and was happy to go again.

You could try letting him stay home, but making him stay in his room (or something else he doesn't like) during the time that he would've been having fun at preschool. I've done that with Trey before when I've had to pick him up for not behaving...lol!

(all of that was of course after talking to the teacher and making sure there wasn't some other problem)